Thursday, May 20, 2021

Wanted: New Scheduler

It had been a dry year, with the drought monitor showing that our area was in a moderate drought as of May 11.  Our rain gauge had measured maybe a couple of inches for the entire year thus far (it doesn't measure snow moisture content).  We were preparing ourselves for a dry year (which still might be the case).

But, the real issue currently?  I was beginning to hope that I would recover fast enough from surgery so we could get all of our crops in before things got too wet to plant again.  And, I really wanted to get everything in the ground BEFORE the buffalo gnats show up this year.

Because... you KNOW they'll show up.  They're a lot like a pimple right before a date with that special someone.  Or maybe they're like a pesky door-to-door salesperson who knows right when you sat down for dinner.

Wet weather during our prime planting time has been one of our biggest problems on our farm since we started.  This year, I really thought we had an agreement with Mother Nature.  Apparently, I did not read the fine print.  Or, perhaps I just need to hire someone else to do the scheduling of life and weather for me.  I'm apparently just not all that good at it.

We are currently half-way through the month of May and we sit at about half of our average rainfall for the month.  So, I really do not have a good case for complaining.  I know this. But, I still wanted to have a bunch of things IN the ground before the rains came.  Rain does far more good for those crops when they are planted - doesn't it?

And there you are - the annual farmer whine about wet fields when he wants to work in them.  I know you were all missing it.

I hope you feel better now.  Life is back to normal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input! We appreciate hearing what you have to say.